Thursday, June 18, 2009

#1 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Title: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Release Date: December 21st, 1937

Voice Cast: Adriana Caselotti, Lucille La Verne, Roy Atwell, Pinto Calvig, Harry Stockwell

Plot: An innocent princess, who longs for true love, flees from her evil stepmother to a cottage of seven little men who provide shelter in exchange for cleaning, cooking, and merriment. Little does she know that her wicked stepmother is using magic to find her... and kill her.


Review:

The first thing I noticed about this film is that the audio is entrancing, if not haunting in some moments. Honestly, I found Adriana Caselotti's voicing of Snow White to be a little bit eerie because of how small it was. Also, I was creeped out by how the Queen wanted Snow White's heart in a box. Though I suppose a small child wouldn't be too disturbed, and it does hold that part true from the original Brothers Grimm tale, storytellers notorious for their macabre style. (In fact, in their version, the Queen eats the heart brought to her by the hunter.) On another note regarding sound (pun very intended), the score was sensational. Background music was delightful, and the songs are extremely catchy. My favorites were "Whistle While You Work" and "Heigh-Ho", though the iconic "Someday My Prince Will Come" certainly reigned supreme in beauty.

The foreground animation is Disney's most delicate, and the scenery was extravagant (as expected). The furry critters were so darn cute! They were probably my second favorite characters of the film; the first were definitely the dwarfs. The dwarfs just made it for me. They were incredibly entertaining, every single one of them. Probably the greatest five minutes of this movie occurred when the dwarfs were arriving home to the "monster" that had taken shelter in their home. Though I suppose the main focus of this film was meant to be the princess herself, I felt that she took a major back seat (at least in terms of amusement) to these seven little guys.

That's another odd feature of this film. For as much as it serves as a beacon of a princess tale, it doesn't spent too much time on developing that in its 84 minutes of runtime. In fact, the only times you see the prince are the beginning and the end. It's almost as if it was a sideplot; at least, if it were the main purpose of the film, Disney didn't do agreat job of portraying that. But I didn't mind!

The movie certainly did invoke emotions though. I honestly couldn't stop smiling whenever the dwarfs were in action (especially Dopey!). And I truly believe that the Queen's disguise as the hag was quite unnerving.

That's all I have to say about "his first full length feature production." I didn't take to the princess bit, but I loved what I was shown. It was phenomenally amusing throughout the whole story. Overall, I'm giving it a...
A Dream Is A Wish

No comments:

Post a Comment