Thursday, July 2, 2009

#7 The Three Caballeros

Title: The Three Caballeros

Release Date: February 3rd, 1945

Voice Cast: Clarence Nash, Jose Oliveira, Joaquin Garay

Plot: The 2nd of Disney's six 1940s package films is basically a
sequel to Saludos Amigos, diving more into South American culture in seven segments.

Review: The "sequel" starts out well, surprisingly. Though it has the same style (narrator overd
ose, South American themes, etc.), the first segment is much more of a story, and a lot less like a lesson. Either that, or it hides the lesson well. The narrators themselves are less monotone, allowing yourself to actually be intrigued this time around. The first segment is about a penguin who wants to leave the south pole, and it is more pleasing than all four Saludos Amigos shorts combined. I actually smiled, and it kept my interest.

The next segment, about a flying donkey, returns to "lesson" format, but still not as much so as Saludos. And though it is not as thrilling as the first segment, it is s
till in line of Disney classic standards, the way I see it.

Unfortunately, it only gets worse from here. In the next two segments, pure montages of Brazil and Mexico, Disney makes one of the same mistakes it made with Saludos. Music and color become the basis of the entire film, with no plot or even scenario to accompan
y. Sounds like Fantasia? I wish. I almost nodded off during this portion of the film.

By the end, it has gone back to the failed documen
tary format. More live action comes into play, which, at the time, Disney had not mastered. Though I can't say I'm surprised, I was disappointed by this film. I dare say I was even more so disappointed by this than Saludos, due to the promising beginning. But, that beginning does have to boost it up a rating.

Bare Necessities

No comments:

Post a Comment