Sunday, August 16, 2009

#26 The Great Mouse Detective

Title: The Great Mouse Detective

Release Date: July 2nd, 1986

Voice Cast: Barrie Ingham, Vincent Price, Val Bettin, Candy Candido, Frank Welker


Recap: In the world of mice and rats, a toymaker is kidnapped by the cruel Professor Ratigan in a complex plot to rule England. The toymaker's daughter, Olivia, comes into the care of Dr. David Dawson, who helps her seek t
he assistance of eccentric Sherlock-Holmes-based Basil. Basil only agrees to help Olivia because Ratigan is his arch enemy and becomes very determined to solve the case.

Review: I'm telling you now, this is one of the lesser-known classics that you should see. (There aren't too many of those). It opens instantly with a hook to pull you in, a
little bit like a Harry Potter movie. There's a sharp wit to the characters, something that might go over a little kid's head. But I enjoyed it thoroughly. The dialogue was just so smart.

It almost feels like it could be live-action. I could see a director like Christopher Columbus or Robert Zemeckis doing a heck of a job with it. The Sherlock Holmes element is brilliant, which reminds me that there is indeed a live-action Sherlock Holmes film coming out this Christmas. That'll be interesting.

There's also an antagonist that I absoluely adore in this film. Everything he does is comedic and priceless. There was a similar character in The Black Cauldron, but he doesn't do this one justice. The character I'm referring to is Fidget, the primary antagonist's henchman. I think you'd really get a kick out of him. Props to Candy Candido for that one.

I only have a minor complaint about this film, and it's nothing I'll spend a paragraph on because it's just not worth it. There are some tacky things, that's all. For instance, the world in which they live is called Mousedom. I know, right? Oh well.

Under the Sea (Darling, It's Better!)

No comments:

Post a Comment